Online Course "Assessing complex trauma with minimal trauma exposure"
As therapists we are working with traumatized persons, presenting often complex symptoms and dissociative behaviour linked to preverbal trauma and attachment issues. This calls for a solid understanding of the client’s profile before starting the therapy itself. Being able to assess the client’s degree of inner coherence and to establish a treatment plan accordingly represents a major asset.
- Assessing the client based on the initial information
- Drawing a map of self, including the client’s key elements
- Determining the degree of stability/integration of the client
- Being able to prioritize between trauma resolution and structure building
Summary of content
The more fragile a client’s body-mind system, the more the settings of the initial conditions will affect the therapy’s progression and outcome.
We will start by identifying the type of profile corresponding to our client’s profile:
- Quite coherent clients with a basis of secure attachment
- Medium traumatized and coherent clients with an insecure attachment
- Heavily traumatized/unstable/fragmented patients with a very insecure or disorganized attachment
This information will enable us to establish the initial treatment plan, deciding whether trauma resolution or structure building will be the priority issue. Furthermore, we will discuss how to explain the treatment plan to the client and how much we will share about our understanding of his situation.
The course material will include: theory, charts, documents sent to participants prior to the course, a short evaluation of the course, an evaluation of teaching objectives.